Sunday, October 11, 2009

Movie Review - Battlefield Earth: A New Standard


Since Battlefield Earth was released in 2000, I realize that I'm 9 years late on naming it "a new standard", but I have no other choice since I finally watched it in October of 2009.

Here are at least 7 reasons why I loved Battlefield Earth:

1) I watched big name actors humiliate themselves with terrible scripting and terrible acting.
2) The 'made-for-tv-movie' special effects.
3) I watched as Battlefield Earth violated all rules of story and plot.
4) I picked up the idea that knowledge, self-help, and autonomy (an abandonment of 'primitive' belief in a deity or deities) must be the philosophical underpinnings of Scientology.
5) The costumes were laughable, and it was amusing watching the actors clumsily trying to walk around in over sized boots.
6) Knowing how excited John Travolta was to make this movie due to his personal beliefs in Scientology and his love for L. Ron Hubbard, and to see how bad the movie is makes it that much more enjoyable.
7) And finally...I watched Battlefield Earth become the new standard for bad movie making; an excellent example of what not to do for film students.

Overall, Battlefield Earth is absolutely awful. But...it's an epic debacle that is so bad that it's actually enjoyable. So even though it violates every rule of good movie making, do yourself a favor and watch it. You'll have a good time.

If you want an honest, but humorous professional review, read this by Roger Ebert:
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20000512/REVIEWS/5120301

Here is how Ebert begins his review of Battlefield Earth: "Battlefield Earth is like taking a bus trip with someone who has needed a bath for a long time. It's not merely bad; it's unpleasant in a hostile way."

1 comment:

revtnt said...

Great review Vozz - and now I really want to watch the movie. I love movies that are so bad that they are fun to watch. I saw a little of this movie in passing one time, and thought it looked ridiculous. Maybe I'll check it out sometime soon.